Tuesday, January 7, 2014

First book of the year for Reading!!! Mr. Popper's Penguins

Hi Rachel,
I hope you will enjoy the book "Mr. Popper's Penguins" written by Richard Atwater and illustrated by Robert Lawson
 It is a very popular chapter book written for children.  I want you to take a few minutes and preview the book.  When you make a prediction about a book, you basically are making a guess based on clues from the pictures, the text and your own ideas to let you know what the it is going to be about.  Check the front and back covers, table of contents, look for any pictures, etc.  Think about what you already know and what you have learned in the past that will help you get some clues about the story.  Predictions about stories can be made before you read as well as during the time you are reading.  Take a look at the making predictions posters that I printed off for you to help you with this assignment.  Next, write a paragraph telling me your predictions about the story. 
I hope you enjoy reading "Mr. Popper's Penguins".  Some vocabulary words you will encounter in chapter one are: 
Calcimine 
Expedition
Bungalow 

Absent-minded  
Mom

3 comments:

  1. I think Mr.Popper's penguins is going to be a good book about penguins. Mr.Popper is a house painter acording to the back cover. I also read that Mr.popper got the penguins in the mail. I wonder who sent the penguins?I think the story took place in a big city.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good predictions Rachel. Good work getting clues about the story from reading the back cover. Who do you think sent Mr. Popper the penguins. How do you think the penguins survived being mailed? What makes you think that the story took place in a big city? Tell me the clues that you found that supports your predictions? When do you think this story took place? If you had to pick a year, which one would you pick?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Mr.popper's father sent the penguins in the mail in a refrigerator box. They had food in the box and it was a cool environment. I think he lived in a big city because Mr.popper lived in a apartment. I think the story took place in 2000.

    ReplyDelete